Dirk Veulemans (1956, Ostend, Belgium)
Lives and works in Kalmthout (B)
In 1987-88 he completed the year-long seminar in Electronic Music Composition at the Antwerp Conservatory with Joris de Laet. Since then he has worked with various ensembles and artistic groups, and for events at home and abroad.
His broad musical interests range from ethnic to the most actual music. His own work consists mainly of electro-acoustic compositions, in which he strives for a richness of a diverse and individual sound palette.
The computer and the creation of algorithms have always been an important tool and language in this. The spatiality and mobility of the sound take up a lot of attention during the composition process and during the performance.
In recent years, he has also been exploring the integration of acoustic sounds and music in these electroacoustic compositions. He does this with self-built computer-controlled instruments.
- A scientific education (1979) of aggregate in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry forms an excellent technical basis for the composition and realisation of electroacoustic music.
- Joined the SEMensemble for experimental music in 1988 and participated in concerts and perfomances at various art events at home and abroad for more than 10 years.
- Devoted himself to creating algorithm-driven multi-channel compositions on audio media and realised several subsidised composition commissions for various cultural organisations such as:
- Cultural Council of the City of Antwerp "Music in the City 1988"
- Summer Art Manifestations in Antwerp of the Masereelfonds Fabriek88, Metro89, Black Box90, Bunker91.
- Architecture as a neighbour 1988 (Ghent), BRUL 92 (Ghent).
- Logos, opening Tetraëder concert hall in 1991, and Sound Travels project by Darren Copeland 1999.
- Start of collaboration with SPECTRAensemble in 1999 during the opening of the new SMAK modern art museum.
- KaG 2003, founding member of the Art Workers' Association with projects at home and abroad (Brazil, Germany, Sweden) involving international collaboration with musicians.
- In Vitro 2007 and 2009, collaboration on theatre productions with compositions and soundscapes and with performances in Belgium (including the festival Zomer Van Antwerpen) and in Germany.
- Compositions and installations at concerts and festivals in the Netherlands (e.g. International Audio Visual Festival at Arnhem 1989, 1990), France (Bourges), Germany, Switzerland, Canada, Mexico, Bulgaria and Belgium and in various radio broadcasts (e.g. EBU).
- Member since 1994 of the composers' association FeBeME-BeFEM (Belgian Federation of Electroacoustic Music) for which a composition was programmed twice in Bourges at the International Festival Synthesis. In 2021, vice-president of BeFEM.
- Member of the composers' association ComAV since its foundation in 2007. In 2019, member of the board.
- Included in the MATRIX documentation centre.
- Since 1998, has been constructing and expanding a 16-channel audiophile concert instrument for electroacoustic spatial music. Has been active with it ever since, including:
- (1998 - 2007) Organisation of various multi-channel concerts for electroacoustic music in Antwerp Centre, Antwerp-Ekeren and Ghent.
- (1998 - 2002) Concert participation and support of organisations such as the IPEM/Foundation Lucien Goethals concert series for electroacoustic music.
- (2003) Atomium Brussels. Spatialisation concert with own compositions during the closing event.
- (2005) CONTEX #9 "Antwerp Meets The Hague", Korzotheater, The Hague.
- (2006) "Maulwerke", Festival for new music in Sao Paulo (Braz), Moderna Museet Stockholm (Sweden), Berlin.
- (2007 Brakke Grond Amsterdam) Participation in the opening concert "Kopstoot: 30 years Antwerp Underground", curator Johan Pas.
- (2009) With Spectra Reopening event MuZee Ostend
- (2012) Creation of Voyager 1&2 in Amsterdam at Het Orgelpark, during a Spectra concert combined with Cartridge Music live electronics during the performance of Atlas Eclipticalis (John Cage).
- (2016-2019) construction of two MIDI-controlled pipe organs and eight computer-controlled loudspeaker whistles.
- (2019) The project Hoe mooi is de toekomst? (how nice is the future) with acousmatic music, organ, clarinet, loudspeaker whistles, during the Nacht Van De Verbeelding (Festival van Vlaanderen - Ghent)
He has been working with the Spectra Ensemble since 1999 at happenings and concerts led by Filip Rathé and Alvaro Guimaraes (until 2003). Amongst others:
- Opening event of the SMAK (1999), "Over the edges" (2000), Nocturne at the great Panamarenko exhibition 2001 in the Smak, etc.
- 2006 Opening Festival of Flanders Brussels and Ghent with a composition (Veulemans & Rathé) for eight fire engines.
- Performer at Cage happenings MUHKA-Antwerp, Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens-Deurle, SMAK-Ghent.
He collaborated as a sound spatializer and as a composer in the 5 KriKri festivals (2002-2006) for experimental poetry of KRIKRI vzw under the direction of Jelle Dierickx.
He is a founding member (2003) of the Kunstarbeiders Gezelschap (KaG), which has a European focus and where he collaborated with international musicians as performer and composer in various projects.
- The Panorama-Concert series (2003-2007) in Ghent.
- The Maulwerke project (2004-2005) was created during a residency at Be-Part Waregem and is a form of experimental music theatre that was one of the absolute top acts at the 40th Festival Música Nova in Brazil, with performances in: São Paulo, Santos and Campinas. Was also programmed at the festival for new music in Moderna Museet in Stockholm (Sweden 2006), at the birthday homage of the composer Dieter Schnebel in Berlin (2005), Performances in Parnassus in Ghent (2005) and Zuiderpershuis Antwerp (2005).
- Organiser of KaG Elektro, with concerts of electronic music in Ghent and Antwerp (Ekeren).
Collaboration as composer and performer with "In Vitro" vzw
- (2007) Theatre project "De Zandman" with 25 performances during the festival "Zomer Van Antwerpen" and 2 performances in Cologne during the theatre festival "Globalize 2007".
- (2009) Theatre project "Medea" with performances in Ghent, Antwerp and Cologne (Germany).
2019-2020 Organised, in cooperation with De Week Van De Klank, HET BOS in Antwerp, ComAV and FeBeME-BeFEM, the promotional concerts B.O.E.M. (Belgian Encounter Electroacoustic Music). In these, composers of electronic music met each other musically. Edition 2023 was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 1998: Publisher of and participant in CD art cassette on the occasion of 25 years SEM
- 2003: compiler of and participant in double international promotional CD BEFEM
- 2004: CD "The weasel is living on the lofts now" with an overview of his music.
- 2005: Published on the Krikri CD 2005: "Speaking in tongues".
- 2021: Online reissue (Bandcamp.com) of The Weasel is Living on The Lofts Now.
- 2021: Online new release of 3 music albums (Bandcamp.com)
- Comments on Maulwerke
- Traveling through my head
- 2021: Online new release of a video album of old compositions with computer graphics (Vimeo.com)
laatste update: 2021.10.10